Summer is coming, what is the cooling device in your room? AC or an electric fan? Either way, as a parent, we want our baby to be able to have a more comfortable sleeping environment and have a good night's sleep. However, if you are not careful, these devices can easily make a baby catch a cold, even on hot summer nights. What a should baby wear on a summer night is a big problem. Come and read.
Prevent catching a cold even in hot Summer!
There may be new parents who only let their babies move around in a diaper during the day, so they may consider doing the same way at night. It is too hot in the summer, right? Can they just sleep naked wearing only a diaper?
Although sleeping without clothes is more helpful for heat dissipation and more relaxed when sleeping. However, for babies, it is not recommended to sleep this way. The reasons are as follows.
① Babies have a faster metabolism than adults. It's easier to dissipate heat and to get cold. Although it feels hot during the first few hours of sleep, it may feel a little cooler as the temperature drops after midnight. In this temperature is not constant, the temperature drop to the naked baby is easy to bring the risk of catching a cold.
② Some babies sleep in the same bed with adults. However, adults are more resistant to germs than babies. Adults will have bacteria on their bodies and beds, while babies have delicate skin and are not as resistant to many bacteria, which may cause them to get sick.
Therefore, a combination of these is not recommended to let the baby sleep naked.
How should we dress our babies for the summer evenings?
As for how many clothes to wear, according to the ambient temperature of the room, season, etc. to adjust:
- Keep cool. You can dress your baby a sleeveless garmentor a thin sleeping bag in some hot nights, so as not to catch a cold. If the air conditioning is on all night, you need to dress your baby a onesie jumpsuit to keep the temperature constant.
At the same time, do not let the air conditioning against the baby. A plug-in electric fan is also a good choice. It won't be too cold, but it will keep your baby comfortable.
- Breathable fabric. Since babies have delicate skin, they are more prone to skin allergies. Special attention should be paid to the selection of skin-friendly materials. To achieve the goal of soft and breathable, sweat-absorbent, wear-resistant, elastic, etc..We recommend choosing cotton,gauze, muslin, micromodal, bamboo fiber materials.
Before putting on a baby pajamas, pay attention to check whether there are threads, holes, overly tight elastic bands and so on on the clothing to exclude all factors that may bring safety hazards.
Any sleeping bag or clothes or swaddles should not have too many decorations and threads to avoid unnecessary injuries.
- Checking bub’s temperature.If the skin of back ofyour baby's neck is warm and dry, it means that is appropriate; if it is hot, moist and sweaty, you overdressed; if it is cold, then you underdressed.
It is not necessary to use the baby's cold hands and feet as a reference standard. Because the nerve endings of babies are not fully developed. It is normal to have cold hands and feet.
The room temperature may change between the first half of the night and after midnight, so it is best to check on your baby and adjust the dressing.
- Keep the bedding clean.Baby's bedding should be changed and washed regularly to keep it clean and dry to avoid accumulating too many bacteria.
Match Clothing to Different Temperatures
The optimal sleeping temperature for both adults and babies is about 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius), so if you dress your baby too much and too hot, it will make them sleep poorly and may cause them to have nightmares.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommendations, when the temperature is above 24 ℃, your child will feel comfortable wearing only one layer of clothing.
- When the room is 24-26℃, your baby only needs to wear a romper, short sleeves, or sleeveless, which equals a 0.2 TOG sleeping bag.
- When the room is 22-23℃, your baby can wear a single layer of thin long sleeves and pants, which equals a 0.3 TOG sleeping bag.
- When the indoor temperature is 18-21℃, your baby can wear a single layer of thin long sleeves and pants plus a 2-4 layer of cotton gauze sleeping bag. A 1.0 TOG sleeping bag will be fixed.
- When the indoor temperature is 15-18 ℃, your baby can wear a single layer of thin long sleeves and long pants plus 1 layer of cotton sleeping bag. A 2.5 TOG sleeping bag will be fixed.
- When the indoor temperature is lower than 15 ℃, it is recommended to adjust the room temperature by turning on the heating, and air conditioning, which needs a 3.5 TOG sleeping bag.
In addition, we should also adjust the wear cover according to the state of the baby in time.
Signs that your baby is overheating
If parents are not sure whether the baby sleeps in by the appropriate, you can feel the temperature of your baby's neck or back, as long as the touch is not particularly cold (and not too hot) is generally appropriate. These signs means you overdressed to your baby.
- Damp hair
- Flushed cheeks
- Rapid breathing
- Tummy feels hot or clammy to couch
- Heat rash
In addition, too much heat tends to aggravate eczema. Generally, the appropriate temperature for eczema babies is 3-5°C lower than normal babies, and sweat stains or heat sensations can aggravate eczema. However, it should be noted that cool and at the same time need to moisturize, dry cold air will also aggravate eczema.
Overall Dressing TIPS
- 0-1-year-old wear one more piece of clothing than adults.
- 1-2 years old baby. The body temperature regulation ability is basically the same as adults, you can refer to the same adult dressing.
- Over 3 years old. Basically, they can express their own warmth and coldness, so they can dress according to their child's feelings.
Ensuring a Restful Night’s Sleep
Dressing your baby for summer nights can be a challenge, but it can also be a fun and rewarding experience. By following these tips and suggestions, you can choose the right clothing for your baby, and ensure a comfortable and safe sleep. You can also use the TOG rating system to find the right sleepwear for different sleep environments and adjust the layers of clothing as needed.
By dressing your baby for summer nights, you can not only help your baby sleep better but also yourself. You can enjoy the peace of mind that your baby is cozy and snug and that you are doing your best to prevent any potential problems. You can also enjoy the quality time you spend with your baby and the bonding you create through cuddling and soothing.
We hope this article has been helpful and informative for you. We wish you and your baby a restful night’s sleep and a wonderful summer. 😊
Disclaimer: Although our advice comes from research and professional sources, we always recommend checking with a baby professional when in doubt to get a second opinion.